Generation Z present a whole new recruitment challenge

Generation Z present a whole new recruitment challenge


A recent report from e-Recruitment software provider, Oleeo and MyKindaFuture shows that 18% of Generation Z applicants are dropping out of the recruitment process, even after being offered a job. And as they’re predicted to outnumber the millennial workforce globally as early as 2019 – thanks to leaving education early to begin their careers – they’re causing employers to think how they reach out to them. This is because the survey suggests that their main reason for dropping out of the recruitment process (or declining or reneging on job offers), is due to companies not knowing how to engage with their audience.

What else did the report have to say? Well, it said that only 3% of those who apply for a position will receive an offer, and two-thirds of the talent pool are screened out in the first round. This leaves 97% without a job offer and a plethora of social channels to complain on if they feel they have been mistreated.

This raises many questions. And they’re all around ‘why?’ Technology works both ways. The report highlights that employers should be using it to effectively engage with their audience. Yet on the flip side, it feels that it’s all too easy for Gen Zers to ‘ping’ their CV and details to a prospective employer, in the hope they’ll get lucky. How else do you explain that only 3% who apply receive a job offer? (this is just us surmising, but it would be nice to understand in another report why this is)

Moving swiftly on, there are also more Gen Zers out there than before who are choosing apprenticeships over further education. Available apprenticeships have increased at all levels, but most notably across Levels 6 and 7, with an increase of 50%. Higher Level Apprenticeships have also increased by 35%. It means that companies who want to target Gen Z candidates need to be smarter at going into schools, colleges as well as onto campuses.

The report goes on to delve into diversity and the issues Gen Z are facing. In 2017, 37.1% of Generation Z women were expected to attend university compared with 27.3% of young men.  Yet, the report shows that 63% of applicants were male and just 37% were female. Also, only 15% of black and Hispanic applicants were successful in being accepted onto graduate schemes, compared to a combined 85% of their white and Asian counterparts, which flags that diversity is still an issue.

Charles Hipps, CEO and Founder, of Oleeo said, “Gen Z demand a different kind of relationship with organisations. In a digital and relationship-centric era they expect to build a personal connection with potential employers in order to decide where to apply, and which offers to accept. With this generation used to using up to six screens at any one time, these relationships need to be developed across multiple platforms. Added to this, Gen Z expect information to be hyper relevant to them. For employers recruiting large numbers of young people, that’s an incredible mix of demands to meet, which is why technology is so important”.

William Akerman, Founder & Managing Director of social enterprise MyKindaFuture said, “Technology has the ability to streamline the recruitment process for recruiters, whilst increasing engagement for applicants.  It’s a win, win. We’re seeing technologies like video interviews, e-tray exercises, and digi-mentoring being used to engage with young people, improve the applicant’s experience and reduce drop-out rates.”

Vanessa Soames, Graduate Recruitment Director at Police Now, said “In an on demand society, poor processes and communication in the recruitment process can’t be hidden from candidates. If a candidate has an unpleasant experience, it is likely this will be shared online and the experience of one person is brand-damaging for organisations.”

Charles Hipps went on to say, “Organisations trying to recruit Generation Z talent have a lot to think about. They have to be adept at reaching out to young people in schools, in universities, while they’re completing apprenticeships or even taking a gap year. They cannot rely on the same old routes and approaches. At the same time, they must give candidates a great recruitment experience from the outset, and at every step of the way, until the young person is onboard and working.  That means engaging with large numbers of very different young people, but every time in a meaningful way.  With HR teams already under considerable resource pressure, technology is inevitably going to be a vital enabler in early years recruiting.”

To read the full report on ‘Why Candidate Experience is Essential to Early Careers Recruitment please click here.


Wednesday, 12 December 2018

Share this article

Any questions? Any comments?

Your instant reactions to this article can be posted here.

Be the first to make a comment...